Edible Art :: Our trip to 'Cake Boss Live!" with Buddy Valastro of Carlo's Bakery




My family adores TLC's "Cake Boss"...especially my 5 year old. If you haven't seen the show, it follows the creative process of baker Buddy Valastro and his family at "Carlo's Bakery" in Hoboken, NJ. They create wonderful cupcakes, pastries, and cakes of course! Some are traditional wedding cakes; others are elaborate 'themed' cakes.



Our favorites from last season were the Sesame Street themed cake (Episode 13) and the Aquarium cake (Episode 15) created for our local "Adventure Aquarium" to celebrate their 5th Anniversary (This was my personal favorite.)



I learned that Buddy would be doing his "Cake Boss Live" show at one of our local theaters. So, I thought it would be fun to surprise my 5 year old with tickets to celebrate her first day of Spring Break. My biggest concern was the time of the event. She goes to bed around 7:30 p.m. and the show started at 8:00 p.m. But, surprisingly, she did great! She even wanted to wait in line for over an hour after the show to be one of the last people to meet Buddy in person and get her 'Cake Boss' baker's cap signed. Can't believe she stayed awake until just before midnight!

She enjoyed the entire show. She was lucky enough to receive one of Buddy's 'practice' cupcakes which he decorated during various audience participation segments of his show. (Special thanks to the folks in the neighboring seats who came to my rescue with tissues and napkins when she promptly began devouring the treat!)

She even got to handle a microphone and ask Buddy if he ever made an "Alice in Wonderland" cake. To which he answered that "Maybe I can make one for your next birthday!" Her birthday is June 3rd....just in case Buddy reads this! :) She even got to do a little 'shout out' to Buddy on the TLC cameras....wearing her baker's cap, she shouted "Buddy Rules!". She really had a fun time. Thanks to Buddy, his family and his staff for putting together a delightful show.

It really was a great night and fun for the entire family....just like his show. If you haven't seen the show on TLC, I encourage you to watch it. (TLC Mondays @ 9/8c) It's a wonderful show that my husband and I can watch with our daughter and all enjoy the art, baking and the family fun.

As an artist, I paint and create art on canvas. Buddy and his staff truly create works of art with modeling chocolate and icing. The main difference....their works of art are edible. So much dedication and creativity in a project that gets consumed relatively quickly. I wonder if it is difficult sometimes to watch folks cut into and eat the cake...especially when so much time and creativity is put into making it. For now, I'll keep my creative works on canvas and enjoy the hard work and dedication of these pastry artists from the comfort of my home.


Follow Me!


Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. wow! what a wonderful experience you and your family had! I ADORE that show and watch it weekly and wish i went to the live show :) i will watch to see if your little girl is featured on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOVE cake Boss!! did you see the episode with the Airforce cake? OMG it was HUGE!!!!! What a fabulous adventure!!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a lot of fun. Don't know if they will use the "Buddy Rules" clip, but that would be fun! :)

    Deb- I did see the Airforce cake. That one was amazing. My favorite so far is the Aquarium cake, but there are many close 'runner ups'. :)

    I think my daughter is planning to replace her Playdoh with modeling chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that sounds like a lot of fun. That is truly a special memory your daughter will have. I'm going to have to check out that show since my daughter and I love to watch the cooking and baking shows together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious post! :)

    I like the show, too... sounds like you all had a wonderful time. What a great experience for your daughter, and I'm sure, a beautiful memory of a fun family outing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment