Honoring Volunteers of Fox Chase Cancer Center


Today I had the honor of attending a reception honoring volunteers of the Fox Chase Cancer Center. It was such a beautiful reception and a wonderful tribute to those who tirelessly donate their time to the families and patients at the Cancer Center. I was so very proud of each of the volunteers and wished I could personally thank each and every one of them.


The event also paid tribute to a wonderful volunteer named Alice who passed away last year after struggling with Cancer. Alice was not only our neighbor, but a very dear friend. I attended the reception with her husband David, who brought along the painting that I made for his family shortly after her death. The painting is called "Alice's Secret Garden" and depicts the backyard garden that she so adored. Bird feeders, birds and small hidden messages to Alice make up the floral design within the painting.

I wasn't expecting to speak at the event and was surprised when Tina (director of volunteers) called me up to talk about the artwork and Alice. After Tina's moving tribute to her, I was already an emotional wreck. But, with tissue in hand, I did a short presentation. (I think I cried through the whole thing! But, I think Alice would have enjoyed it.)

It was an honor to present the framed tile of the artwork to each of the volunteers at the reception. In this small way, I hope Alice's wonderful memory lives on with each of the volunteers and with the people whom Alice touched.


The reception was a wonderful way to say 'thank you' to those who offer their time and assistance and to provide a final farewell to those no longer with us. I was very proud to have my artwork be part of such a wonderful cause.

Comments

Post a Comment